Ten Things to Leave Behind to Follow Your Dreams
by Joyce Dunaway @DunawayJoyce
“Forgetting what is behind and reaching forward to what is ahead, I pursue as my goal the prize promised by God’s heavenly call in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 3:13)
Do we, like Paul, need to leave some things behind so we can focus on achieving our dreams?
Following is a list of things which might be hindering our progress:
- Self-doubt. If you feel God has called you to do something, don’t quit unless He leads you to stop.
- Time Zappers. For example: spending excessive time on social media, watching TV, talking on the phone, or browsing at the mall.
- Negative People. Do you have family or friends who leave you discouraged after an encounter with them? If you cannot totally eliminate your relationship with them, then limit the time you interact with them.
- Feeling you have to do it all. Delegating jobs to other family members helps them learn responsibility and feel they’re a part of what you’re creating.
- Worry and Anxiety. “Be anxious for nothing” (Philippians 4:6) If you’re pursuing the dreams God has placed in your heart, trust His timing.
- Perfectionism. Do your best and then learn from your mistakes. Being perfect is stressful to the body and mind.
- Fear of Failure. It took Thomas Edison 10,000 attempts to invent the light bulb. Reading the book entitled “Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway” by Susan Jeffers or quoting the title might help you move forward.
- Fear of Success. Are you ever concerned that your acquaintances might think you’re acting haughty if you’re successful? “There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so other people won’t feel insecure around you. As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.” (Anonymous)
- Treating Your Dream as a Hobby. If you’re not serious about your dream, no one else will be either.
- Feeling it’s too late to start. No matter your age or circumstances, it’s never too late to start.
I would love to hear your ideas about things we can leave behind as we pursue our dreams. Please leave your comments in the section below.